Archive Maintainer :
Update to :
Advanced engine needed : EDGE. Tested with 1.24 and 1.27 in software mode.
With 1.24 you have to specify -truebsp at the command line!
Primary purpose : Single play
Title : Floating Buildings v1.1
Filename : FLOATB.WAD
Release date : 8-apr-2004 (finish date: 11-dec-2000)
Author : LogicDeLuxe
Email Address : <email removed>
Other Files By Author :
Misc. Author Info :
Description : This was originally a contribution to the
"Wad-in-a-Week" contest in 2000 at newdoom.com. Though, as they couldn't
figure out, how to play this, they decided not to release it at all.
Though, it can be solved as I tested it well with EDGE 1.24 and 1.27.
It actually is my first map I ever made, and I think, it is good enough
for a public release rather than laying unnoticed on my harddisc forever.
Hence, here it is. Have some fun with it!
For some usefull hints, read bellow!
* What is included *
New levels : 1
Sounds : No
Music : No
Graphics : Yes, a x and y tileing 360 degree sky.
Dehacked/BEX Patch : No
Demos : DEMO1, recorded with EDGE 1.27. If you don't want to
be spoiled, don't watch it! I tried keeping it simple by playing at skill 1,
only using the keyboard and even avoid jumping and mlooking. Also the
invulnerability sphere isn't picked up (which did cost me a lot of health).
Usually I play with mouse, though this way, it can be zipped much better.
Once I forgot a switch and had to return. I kept it in rather than redoing
the whole thing. After all, it's ment as a helping walkthrough, not a
perfect speed run.
Other : Many EDGE specific stuff. (Today, I probably would
have done this for Zdoom)
Other files required :
* Play Information *
Game : DOOM2
Map # : Map01
Single Player : Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player : Implemented but not tested.
Deathmatch 2-4 Player : Implemented but not tested.
Other game styles :
Difficulty Settings : Yes, tested on skills 1-4 with mouse and keyboard.
Nightmare would be VERY hard, as you need to kill all monsters of certain
kinds in order to trigger some special effects.
* Construction *
Base : "Wad-in-a-Week"'s basemap, as the objective was
using that basemap which contained the four main rooms only, and feature a
reference to "new Doom" in some form.
Build Time : One week
Editor(s) used : Deth 4.24, Zennode 0.98a, Deutex 4.4.0, text editor
Known Bugs : Some minor ones as I ran out of time. These are
slightly unalligned textures and a teleporter which triggers unintendedly on
the roof of a building. (You just can walk around in order to avoid this!)
No problematic bugs. Also there are engine related ones, read on for
Bugs when using EDGE 1.24:
- Visible line at the horizon and texture bleeding on some corners.
- Monsters shoot at extra floors and sometimes even hit you through them.
- Some extra floors are invisible if you forget the -truebsp parameter.
- All those actually are bugs in the engine which are all fixed with version
Bugs when using EDGE 1.27:
- There are a bunch of warnings while loading. This is because of DDF-changes
in 1.27. You can ignore them for now, though I can't guarantee it will still
run in later versions.
- The bridge above the letters are lightened incorrectly when the letters
appear under it. This did not happen in 1.24 and I have no clue how to fix
this. (Actually I didn't try as the map is unchaged as of 2000 except for
the demo which I added later.) Fortunately, this doesn't affect gameplay.
- There is one G1-switch at the east end of the map which doesn't always seem
to work on the first try. It's supposed to open the east door above the
floating lift in the starting room. If that door is still closed, just shoot
that switch again!
May Not Run With... : other than EDGE. Not tested with hardware
- This is a puzzling map. You could used to think 3-dimentional and keep
watching carefully for important details! You can jump and mlook (making
aiming on shootable switches easier). Also the automap might help sometimes.
There are several ways to do certain things.
- In the very starting room, look for cracks on a corner which you'll need
in order to trigger the hidden lift!
- The invulnerability sphere makes you able walking on the sky. This is
helpful (though not required) reaching a particular switch. It also can help
you fighting some mosters, of course.
- As this map mainly contains small rooms and deadly sky, there is little room
for dodging. Fortunately I implemented fewer monsters on lower skills.
- If something doesn't seem to work correctly, make sure, you read the known
bugs details, which are mainly engine related issues, which I can't fix in
this map, unfortunately.
- You have to kill all monsters of certain kinds in order to trigger special
scripts. (Hence this map doesn't work with -nomonsters.)
- Every time a new letter appears in the centre area, a row of bars will raise
in the passage to the exit room simultaneously unblocking the way when you
found all letters finaly.
- If you like even a more challanging play, keep in mind that this map can be
completed without jumping or mlook aiming. Also you only need either sky
walking with invulnerability or using one of the keys.
- There is a demo included which is basically a walkthrough. It shows one
possible route using one of the keys. It's not revealing all the secrets.
If you need even more hints, open it in a map editor and peek. ;-)
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse.
You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with
no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file
* Where to get the file that this text file describes *
The Usual: ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/ and mirrors